‘There is never a better time to start something’
Last Summer, I met Elliot Jay Stocks, who was in town to hold a workshop about Advanced Typography for Web and Print. Elliot is a designer, who has worked for clients including Microsoft, Virgin, EMI, MailChimp, and Campaign Monitor. He is also an electronic musician who records under the name of Other Form, as well as a speaker and design author.
His current main gig is co-founder and Creative Director of the new lifestyle magazine Lagom. He is probably most known for being the founder of another magazine though, the bi-annual printed typography magazine (and soon-to-be book) 8 Faces. Elliot also used to work as Adobe Typekit’s Creative Director. So of course you can expect a lot about type and typography, but we’ll also talk about working for Adobe, working with your partner, turning a magazine into a book, and releasing a record.
The interview was recorded on June 29, 2017.
- Elliot Jay Stocks’ website
- He is Co-editor and Creative Director of lifestyle magazine Lagom
- The legendary 8 Faces magazine
- His electronic music project Other Form
- Other Form at Bandcamp
- Coffee roaster Colonna where he acts as the Creative Director
- ‘Now is always the wrong time’ (presentation at Beyond Tellerrand Berlin 2017)
Artwork Other Form ‘Unmarked Paths’
Not sure if this does the vinyl well
All issues of 8 Faces
Colonna packaging , designed by Elliot